I’ve talked in great lengths about my process for starting new saves and staying interested in my game and one of the main things I always recommend is setting goals for your sims. IMO, having goals is the best possible thing you can do for yourself when it comes to gameplay. Not only does it give you something to work towards it also allows you — and your sims — to feel a sense of accomplishment when you actually achieve these goals. On top of that, they usually come with rewards that can benefit your sims throughout life. Now, I’m sure that when you think of goals, your first thought may be the obvious, game directed, ones like aspirations or careers but the game (and mods) offers so much more to explore throughout gameplay that you probably never really considered to be goal worthy.
If you’re looking to start a new save or ready to move on to the next generation of your legacy, here are 10 goal-driven gameplay ideas to get you started.
Some of the ideas listed here requires or recommends the use of mods and/or CC, so if you’re new to installing custom content, check out this step-by-step guide.
Also, be aware that I own all of the packs (with the exception of Journey to Batuu) so many of them will be mentioned here.
* Feel free to mix things up or swap things out as much as you want as these are just ideas to provide inspiration, not challenge rules. In my experience, these work best when used as sort of a ‘guideline’ and is mixed in with other activities. Let your sim make friends, go out on dates, have kids — basically live their best life!
1. Sulani Socialite
Your super social sim has a deep love for the planet and wants to contribute to its overall well-being. They pack their bags, move into Caldera Camp (the volcano lot) in Mua Pel’am, located right in Sulani and join the Conservationist career ready to clean up the island and restore its natural beauty. On their off-time, your sim is well known for their legendary parties and is on a first name basis with all of the Sulani natives. There seems to be something magical in the water out there that makes the idea of romance even more intoxicating to your romantic sim. Could there be more than just trash on the sandy beaches of the island?
Aspiration: Party Animal
Career: Conservationist (any branch)
Skills: Charisma, Fitness, Logic
- Max Conservationist career
- Complete Party Animal aspiration
- Restore the island to its original state
- Earn a gold medal on one of every party type available. To make this even more of a challenge, include the events made possible with the Memorable Events mod by kawaiistacie.
- Become best friends or fall in love with a mermaid/merman
Packs needed: Island Living
2. Cultural Curator
Your sim has an adventurous soul that yearns to see the entire world. From Selvadorada to Mt. Komorebi, they want to experience everything that each culture has to offer. They’re sad whenever it’s time to return home but their ever-growing collection of souvenirs serve as a reminder of each trip. Because of how often they’re on the road (or in the air) they don’t have a job and have a hard time making long term commitments. Fortunately, they’re able to make money by selling a few artifacts at the weekly flea market in San Myshuno. With as much as they love the thrill of trying new things and meeting new people, the idea of being in one place or with one person forever sounds so… mundane but maybe they just haven’t met the right one yet?
Aspiration: Curator & Jungle Explorer (if you’re feeling adventurous)
Career: Register with the Ministry of Labor as a ‘Curator’
Skills: Selvadoradian Culture, Archeology, Photography
- Complete Curator and/or Jungle Explorer aspirations
- Try/learn to make every meal from each destination world
- Earn $100,000 selling Selvadoradian artifacts. To make this more of a challenge, don’t sell straight from your sim’s inventory, instead host a ‘yard sale’ at the flea market in San Myshuno or at any other community lot of your choice. I recommend, the Flea Market Every Sunday mod by LittleMsSam so there isn’t such a huge gap in opportunities for sales.
- Make a small group (2-3) of lifelong friends
Packs needed: Jungle Adventure, *Island Living, *Snowy Escape, *Outdoor Retreat
*packs needed depends on the worlds you want your sim to travel to
3. Homegrown Hustler
Your sim is a free-spirit who — according to some — spends way too much time in their garden. If it were up to them, they would do nothing but lounge around, soaking up the sun with their favorite flowers but somebody’s gotta pay the bills. As an individual with a severe ‘work’ allergy, getting a traditional job is out of the question — for their health, of course — so they’ll need to get creative with their money making efforts. Fortunately for them, they have a garden right at home full of produce, flowers and fresh honey. Will their natural talents be enough to keep them away from homelessness or will they have to suck it up and finally get a real job?
*If you’re looking for more to sell from your sim’s garden, I recommend the Functional Canning Station mod and custom harvestables by icy-spicy-scalpel that allows your sim to make preserves, jellies, jams, pickles and more using produce from their garden.
Aspiration: Freelance Botanist
Skills: Gardening, Baking and Canning (if you choose to use the mod)
- Complete Freelance Botanist aspiration
- Avoid getting a job at all costs
- Sell baked and homegrown goods from your own personal yard sale or at the town’s weekly weekend Farmer’s Market (park with a sale’s table)
- Earn $50,000 from yard sales selling baked goods, flower arrangements, honey, canned goods (if you used the mod) etc…
- Have a garden with every fruit, vegetable, flower (not including spliced plants) available in game
- Join the Garden Gnomes club and befriend the leader (Moira Fyres) in an effort to get her to step down. Once your sim becomes leader of the club, have them host club gatherings at their house to get ‘free labor’ from the club members. If you rather create your own club, you can go that route instead, after all, free labor is free labor!
Packs needed: Get Together, City Living, Seasons
4. Karaoke Critic
Your sim’s opinions are just as loud (and beautiful) as their voice and they want the world to know it. As a San Myshuno native and lover of all things music, they’re well versed on the underground scene with knowledge of all up-and-coming musical acts. Their days are usually spent on autopilot in their boring cubicle writing columns about all of these amazing performers — but at night is when they really come alive! Weekly competitor at the Spice Market’s infamous Karaoke competition — this sim was born to be a star! If only they could get the title away from Anaya Jang to prove it!
Aspiration: City Native and Musical Genius (if you’re feeling spicy)
Career: Critic (Art Critic branch)
Skills: Singing, Writing, Piano (or any instrument(s) of your choice)
- Max Critic Career
- Complete City Native and/or Musical Genius aspiration
- Win (and keep) the title of Karaoke Champ
- Become skilled with at least two different instruments
- Write three original songs
- Become enemies with Anaya Jang — the longtime Karaoke Champ (could be any other sim who frequently wins the competition. It just happens to almost always be Anaya in my game)
Packs needed: City Living
5. Herb Hunter
Your sim grew up in a little cottage in the woods assisting their grandmother, the town’s apothecary, in her shop. From gathering herbs to prepping herbal remedies, they were the best junior assistant, one could have asked for. Years later, after the fire that destroyed their hometown, they’re on a journey to a secret forest — the only forest in the world — rumored to have the same ingredients used to make their grandmother’s special remedies. Once they gather everything they need, they can open their very own shop. The special ingredients aren’t the only thing rumored to be in that forest… hopefully it isn’t anything to be concerned about…
Aspiration: Outdoor Enthusiast
Skills: Herbalism, Gardening and Fishing
- Max Gardener career
- Complete Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration
- Brew at least one of every herbal recipe
- Befriend the Hermit in Granite Falls
- Camp out in Granite Falls at least once every season
- Earn a gold medal on a Weenie Roast
- Make enough money to open a retail store once you max the Gardener career (amount is whatever you deem acceptable)
Packs needed: Outdoor Retreat, Get to Work, Seasons
6. Small-Town Sleuth
Your sim is a wannabe journalist desperate to have their articles featured on the front page of the newspaper. After complaining to their boss — yet again — about their stagnant career, they’re given an opportunity to prove they’re ready — an opportunity that no one else seems to want but an opportunity nonetheless! They pack their bags and hop on the next flight out to a little town, in the middle of nowhere, by the name of Strangerville. The assignment they were given seems simple enough — write a piece about the exotic wildlife that seems to be popping up all over town — but once they settle in and take a look around, they realize that there’s way more to this town than meets the eye…
Aspiration: Bestselling Author
Career: Writer (Journalist branch)
Skills: Writing and Charisma
- Max Writer career
- Complete Bestselling Author aspiration
- Solve the Strangerville mystery
- Write and publish an excellent quality non-fiction book detailing how your sim’s heroic act saved a small town from certain doom!
- Write and publish, The Book of Life, which will serve as your sim’s memoir to… make sure the world remembers how great they are… even after they’re gone
Packs needed: Strangerville
7. Lawyer of Love
Your charismatic, career-driven sim has dreams of becoming the top partner at their law firm. When they’re not at the library researching old cases or studying for the law exam, they’re out filing court documents or working overtime on open cases. In their limited free-time, they study classical music and work on perfecting their already perfect violin skill. Their life may seem less than exciting at the moment but it won’t be this way for long because your sim has a plan. See, word on the street is that the firm has been losing clients and is in desperate need of some new ones. Now, your sim being the over-achiever they are is prepared to single-handedly fix the firm’s problems by bringing in tons of new clients. These won’t be any ol’ clients though — they’ll be rich and powerful clients — that would surely help the firm restore it’s once prominent name and catapult your sim right to the top of their career! Securing these clients won’t be easy though. They’ll need something… something special… something… alluring… I’m sure they can figure something out…
Aspiration: Serial Romantic
Career: Lawyer (Private Attorney branch)
Skills: Charisma, Research and Debate, Violin
- Max Lawyer career
- Complete Serial Romantic aspiration
- Only date sims with prominent names or who are from rich families (ie: Goths, Fengs, Landgraabs, etc…) You can create your own families with their own backstories as well — does not have to be any of the premades
- Maintain at least 8 partners at a time
- Get engaged
- Leave a sim at the alter
Packs needed: University
8. (Im)Perfect Parent
Your club hopping, party going sim is not really the family type. With their nights belonging to the stage and their mornings spent doing watcher knows what, kids were not a part of their plan — until they were. Turns out, they have kids, twin toddlers, that they had no idea existed. With the other parent no longer in the picture, they’re the twins’ sole guardian. With their comedy career on the rise and their social life the most fun it’s ever been, can they raise these toddlers without ruining either of their lives?
Aspiration: Super Parent and Joke Star (if you’re feeling ambitious)
Career: Entertainer (Comedian branch)
Skills: Parenting, Comedy, Dancing
- Max Comedian career
- Complete Super Parent aspiration
- Earn $1000 in tips from performing comedy routines
- Develop 10 excellent comedy routines
- Raise both children with all 5 character values
- Become best friends with both children
Packs needed: Parenthood
9. Mt. Komorebi Medalist
Your sim’s a professional athlete who’s ready to take their talents off the field and on to the slopes. They’ve been training hard for the Simlympics where they plan to take home the gold! To document this heroic journey and give their fans a sneak peak of their true greatness, they record their trainings and upload them to their soon-to-be popular SimTube channel. With as much bragging and boasting as they tend to do, will they be able to back it all up once game day comes?
Aspiration: Extreme Sports Enthusiast and Body Builder (if you’re feeling cocky)
Skills: Fitness, Rock Climbing, Skiing, Snowboarding
- Max Athlete career
- Complete Extreme Sports Enthusiast aspiration
- Earn and maintain Outdoorsy Lifestyle
- Record and upload a vlog of every emotion type (cheerful, funny, aspiring, love advice, angry, pumped up, confident, sad and dazed)
- Successfully reach the top of Mt. Komorebi
Packs needed: Snowy Escape, Get Famous
10. Property Managing Prankster
Your sim has a… strange sense of humor that is commonly misunderstood by, well, everyone. With all the pranking and especially the voodoo, sims have a hard time letting their guard down around your sim, making it difficult for them to make friends. Sick of spending every single day alone in their big empty house, they decide to open their doors to a few renters, who hopefully, over time can become friends. Will your sim be able to make a good impression on their tenants or will their mischievous nature get in the way once again?
Aspiration: Chief of Mischief
Career: Freelance Programmer
Skills: Mischief, Programming
- Complete Chief of Mischief aspiration
- Have your sim live on a lot with at least 3-4 extra bedrooms (or enough space for 4 roommates). *University came with its own roommate system but if you don’t have the pack or aren’t a fan of how the system works, check out this step-by-step guide on how to use the Roommate mod by LittleMsSam.
- Join the dark side at the Humor and Hijinks Festival and win the grand prize
- Successfully pull pranks at 10 different community lots
- Befriend all of the roommates. *To make things a little more interesting, I recommend the First Impressions mod by lumpinou that grants a sentiment to sims when they first meet. It’s really fun to see what impression sims leave on each other and sets the pace for the rest of their relationship
- Bind a voodoo doll to each roommate. (you’ll need to obtain one for each roommate)
Packs needed: City Living, University (for the roommate system if you choose not to use the mod)
And that’s it for now! I hope these ideas can help serve as inspiration for your next save!
credits: littlemssam, bienchen83, kawaiistacie and lumpinou for their amazing mods!